While we are unable to meet “live” at Lincoln Center, SierraPhoto NYC has planned a virtual meeting to begin the season. For this Members’ Night, all are invited to share their nature-themed photos.
We will be utilizing the Zoom videoconferencing platform, a popular application, to present member photos and meet virtually. See our instructions below.
We hope that in the not-too-distant future, we will meet in person. Meanwhile, we look forward to a successful meeting in this new format. Stay safe and well during this difficult and sometimes stressful period.
Preparing Your Photos
Sharing photos is optional, but we hope you consider it. Submit images by September 23 (we’ll send a reminder).
1. Select up to 8 of your nature-themed images. You might also consider your reflections on how the pandemic has impacted your photography. Maybe you’ve found some old “gems”, or found other ways to be creative while housebound.
2. Format each image as a JPEG file, sRGB format at 72 pixels per inch, with 1280 pixels on the long side. Export your images so that each image does not exceed 1 MB in size, to fit all photos in a single email. Most people export their images to their computer desktop.
3. Label each image with your name and a sequential number (from 1 to 8): Jones_Mary#1.jpg. Use the sequence in which you would like to have the photos shown. Make sure that when you join via Zoom, you use the same name so that we can announce your photos.
4. Email the photos as attachments (not embedded) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need to send more than one email, indicate this in the subject lines (“Members’ Night Photos #1”, “Members’ Night Photos #2).
Zoom will work on most devices that connect to the Internet, but we recommend you use a desktop computer or laptop to take advantage of a larger screen.
1. You can get a feel for how Zoom works by joining a “test meeting” at https://zoom.us/test. The Zoom website has excellent training videos, as does YouTube (search “how to join a Zoom meeting”). Or, ask a friend who uses Zoom for help and perhaps to have a test call with you.
2. You will need to download the Zoom application on your computer. Click the “download” button next to “Zoom Client for Meetings” at https://zoom.us/download and follow instructions to install the application.
3. We will send you an email with the link to join the meeting a few days before the September 30 meeting.
4. Plan to log into the meeting at 6:30 to give the host time to solve any technical problems that may arise.
5. Join the meeting by clicking on the link provided in the email (if you have not download the application, the system will ask you to do so prior to joining the meeting). You will be also asked for your name to display to the other members. Be sure to use the name you used to label the photographs you submitted.
6. During the videoconference, our emcee Chuck Pine will announce each member and show your photos; he will “unmute” your microphone so that you can say a few words about your images.
While there are no physical meetings scheduled for this month, keep current on virtual activities through email or our website: https://sierraphotonyc.com.